Sunday, February 23, 2014

Feb 2014

I attended a wonderful one day workshop hosted by Jean Haines during the week. I have long admired the fluidity that Jean manages within her work and therefore was hoping to learn a few tricks and tips during the day. I was not disappointed. I think for me the best part was the one on one session that I got in the afternoon. During that time Jean focussed on what she had observed from the earlier demonstrations and exercises, pointing out weaknesses and potential remedies in my working practices and approach. The one to one allowed me to articulate what I wanted to acheive and she recommended a very worthwhile exercise indeed. I spent 20 -25 mins on this Kingfisher, based on Jeans direction. A very rewarding exercise! It also helped that Jean supplied samples of the two basic colours she thought I needed to add the vibrancy that my paints lacked. The difference was profound and could be seen straightaway. The Schmincke Transparent Orange was wonderful for the Kingfisher.
I would highly recommend attending one of Jean's workshops, especially if you are trying to "loosen up" and know where you want to get to.


Kingfisher















Bouyed with new enthusiasm after Jean's workshop I have produced the following 2 pictures over the weekend, one in my regular art group and a second on Sunday evening.



Puffin
Still not as loose as I would like! I seemed to struggle to put my learnings into practice, however I am still happy with the outcome. I found that my mind was still constrained by boundries, painting to the lines as such. I think the difference is that I started from an initial drawing, where as the Kingfisher was 'freehand'. Self confidence may be the culprit.




















Kingfisher 2
Again, this is tighter than I wanted but it is looser than the puffin example above.

No comments: